How do I know if my therapist is the right fit for me?
The process of starting therapy can be overwhelming to say the least. Therapy is such a personal process and often we attend therapy when things in our lives are not going well. It is like going to the family doctor for a check-up in order to discover what’s going on, so that we know what to do in order to start feeling better. Whether we recognize that we feel “off”, or are in the middle of a difficult life transition, therapy can be an important way to check in on your own mental health and well-being.
Going to therapy can mean unpacking our emotional and psychological injuries and experiences as a means of getting to the root of our concerns to understand how to heal going forward. This often means that we have to work through some uncomfortable, painful, or even difficult thoughts, emotions, and experiences that may have been previously buried. Like I said, the idea of therapy can be overwhelming enough, let alone also trying to find a therapist that you might be willing to share this all with! So how to know if they are the right fit for you?
The search for the right therapist can look similar to the relationship process, where it make take time to find “the one” – and that’s ok! In some cases it can be good to shop around and talk to a few different therapists before diving into the waters of the therapeutic process. Having conversations with different therapists can be a great way for you to get a feel of what fit feels best for you. This can include having a grasp of which individual best meets your needs on a number of factors such as:
- The ease of conversation with the therapist
- Their education and qualifications
- Their experience and therapeutic style
When screening to find the right therapist for your life, it can be beneficial to prepare a list of questions to ask during the search process. Here are some sample questions that may be helpful when trying to find the best therapist for your life:
- How long have you been practicing?
- What is your professional background and training? (i.e. education, licenses, certifications, and professional memberships)
- What are your strengths and limitations as a therapist?
- What is your therapeutic approach to helping? Are you more directive or more guiding?
- What kinds of treatment or therapy do you think might help me?
- How do you set up counselling goals with a client?
- How will we assess my progress?
- What is typical session like? How long are the sessions?
Evidently, therapy is such a personal experience, so it is important to ensure you feel comfortable and satisfied with the person you are choosing to share it with. It may take trying a few sessions with a therapist to know if you have found the right fit, but taking the time to find someone who understands your concerns and enables you to feel heard can be instrumental in embracing the process.
To learn more about my professional background and services and to see if I might be the right fit for your therapeutic needs, please feel free to book a free 15-minute consultation with me below.